The 2020 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) is the latest major event to be cancelled due to the public health concerns around the spread of COVID-19.
So far, Mobile World Congress was cancelled in early February, later that month Geneva Motor Show was also cancelled and so was Facebook’s F8 developer conference. And then just last week, Google cancelled its plans for its annual developer conference.
E3 is historically one of the biggest weeks of the year for new video game announcements; This years event was expected to be particularly important with the upcoming launches of the new PlayStation and Xbox consoles.
The annual gaming convention was due to take place in Los Angeles this June.
The E3 team is devastated to share this news. This decision was not reached lightly, but it is the right one for the health and safety of all involved. Read our statement here: https://t.co/1uOWxTerN9 pic.twitter.com/gD2IxNACLX
— E3 (@E3) March 11, 2020
The organisers said they were “exploring options” for an “online experience” in June. “This might lead to some permanent change to events like E3” said Piers Harding-Roll, from Ampere Analysis.
He went on to say that such major expos “were already struggling to define themselves in the rapidly changing landscape of games”
It’s possible E3 may be very different next year.